…up to the Guest Blog post plate today steps another wonderful internet friend, Author Peggy (P.S.) Bartlett… m’Lady talks about what it feels like to be an indie self-publisher, or indeed, any-kind-of-published author come to that… and the lifeblood that comes from the all-important readers’ reviews on Amazon… she nails it! … enjoy…
PEGGY (P.S.) BARTLETT
Reviews are so important.
I try not to beg too much for them but without them, my books will fall into an abyss of other books and I just can’t let that happen. I want to be a full-time writer my friends. I want to weave tales and build worlds and capture your imagination and if my books fall into the black hole that is Amazon’s algorithms, I’m screwed.
You see they have a system. Yes, sales are a big part of that system and at the present time, mine are sadly lacking but it isn’t for lack of trying, I can assure of that. I am always advertising, marketing and most of all writing but I still don’t know if I’m building a fan base.
That’s where you come in. No matter whose book you’re reading, if you love it or not, please leave a review. It doesn’t have to be five paragraphs, just enough to say what you liked or didn’t like about the book and if you’d recommend it to anyone. Try not to include spoilers, as that really isn’t fair to the author and other readers.
Here’s a little bullet point list on the star system.
- One Star – Hated it / didn’t finish it
- Two Star – Didn’t like it / writing was bad / characters were lacking etc.
- Three Star – Liked it but I’m not over the moon / might recommend it
- Four Star – Awesome book / definitely recommend it
- Five Star – Loved everything about it / will tell everyone to check it out
Some questions to help:
- Were the characters well developed?
- Were you surprised and were there plot twists you didn’t see coming?
- Were there holes in the story that didn’t make sense?
- Did you laugh?
- Did you cry?
- Did you feel fully invested in the story?
- Did you want more?
- Was it difficult to put the book down at bedtime?
- Did it remind you of any other books you’ve read?
- Would you recommend it to a friend?
- What about the descriptions? Were they stale or did you feel the rain and smell the flowers?
- Did any of the characters “speak” to you?
- Would you read other books by this author?
Most authors put in months if not years writing a book, followed by hours upon hours (countless) marketing it to you to find YOU. Without our loyal readers, we cannot survive in this business. Yes, writing and publishing is our business. We are the CEO, CFO, COO, IT Director, Administrative Secretary, Advertising Department, Human Resources and the list goes on. We invest our money, our time and most of all our hearts into producing a quality piece of literature all for you and we love every minute of it. Yes, you are just that special and don’t you forget it!
Do we want to make a living doing this? Speaking only for myself, the answer is a resounding yes. Do I want to keep writing every day (if possible) for the rest of my life? YES! However, without reviews and feedback, it is almost impossible to reach our goals.
Whether it’s me, Seumas or any other author, you the reader hold our fates in your hands. Save an author and leave a review. We promise to always show our appreciation by doing our best to keep turning out books you will love and carry with you forever.
Thank you! xoxo
…here’s the links to Peggy and her WURKS… go ahead and say, ‘Hi!’…
…and thank you, Peggy, I’m certain all our fellow Lads and Lassies of Blog Land will agree a million % with these heartfelt sentiments … cheers… see yeez later… LUV YEEZ!…
ALL MY BLOG POSTS ARE FREE TO SHARE/RE-BLOG SHOULD YOU SO WISH—BE MY GUEST!